21 Oct 2006

Handbook of the Birds of the World

No new birds for the list.

I have just bought Volume 3 of this Handbook by Lynx Edicions. It weighs just under 10lb!!!! This is the first work ever to illustrate and deal in detail with all the species of birds in the world. So far they have published 11 of 16 Volumes with the 16th due out in 2011. It is filled with amazing photos and beautiful colour plates by artists such as Ian Lewington. The reason I bought Vol 3 is that it covers 577 species from 30 families, beginning with Hoatzin and ending with the Alcidae (Auks) including the Laridae (Gulls) and waders . The format follows that established in the first two volumes. The reader is first introduced to each family, and then detailed accounts of every species in that family follow. Every aspect has been well thought through so the book is both practically set out as well as being visually pleasing. I am particularly impressed with the text that accompanied each of the stunning photographs. I also like the short bibliography at the end of every species account for its practical application for those seeking to read further. There are more than 10,000 references used. I have many hours of reading ahead of me especially of birds that I have never heard of or seen before.

This afternoon I went for a short walk out at Killard with the hound! and there wasnt alot around apart from two Grey Plover one of which I think lives most of the year here as I have seen it on the same area of beach at all times of the year in both summer and winter plumage.

No comments: