3 Sept 2010

Curlew Sandpipers ,Ringed Plover, Rock Pipits and White Wagtails at Tullyhill Co.Down

One of my regular stops on my way out to Killard is a small picnic area overlooking the Strangford narrows in the townland of Tullyhill. There is a small stream that flows into the lough and there are some mudflats which can be brilliant for waders. It is also very favourable in the afternoon for bird photography as the sun is generally directly behind you. In the winter there can be sometimes over a thousand Golden Plover. At this time of year you mainly find Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Redshank, Curlew, Greenshank, Bar-tailed Godwit, Knot, Turnstone, Oystercatcher and the occasional Curlew Sandpiper passing through.

The last three evenings the light has been fantastic and I have taken the following photos.

Dunlin at Tullyhill

Click on Photos for larger images


Curlew Sandpiper


Curlew Sandpiper


Curlew Sandpiper


Juvenile Ringed Plover in Flight

There are loads of wagtails there at the moment. I love how they chase other birds. I watched them this evening chasing Dunlin, Swallows, Ringed Plover and Linnets. I wonder is it territorial behaviour or is it for fun. I even watched this Swallow chasing a Dunlin for over a minute earlier in the evening. Again I wonder the reason they do this. Any answers let me know.

White Wagtail

There are some that say in bird photography that the golden hour as the sun is setting or rising is the best time to photograph birds. I tend to disagree. The last two photos were taken two days apart. A Rock Pipit in golden light and the other in very flat light. I definately prefer the flat light as it portrays the bird in the way that I think of them. Let me know what you think.

Rock Pipit in Flat light


Rock Pipit in Golden Light

2 comments:

Gerry Snape said...

What an amazing collection. thankyou for these wonderful photos.

Anonymous said...

I prefer the golden light. We get too many grey days here that a golden glow or any suggestion of sunshine is more appealing to me.
Great photos Craig.